I tried another new recipe I wanted to share with you during my early January cooking frenzy. I tend to cook more in the winter when it’s cold–the warm kitchen makes the evenings a bit more enjoyable. Yes cold is a relative term down here in South Louisiana, but waking up to anything below 40 is cold and time for the winter parka!
This stew is guaranteed to warm up your belly and your kitchen. I found it on the food and wine website but of course made a change or two for my liking.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 pound mild or hot sausage, casings removed (I used turkey sausage the second time that I found at Whole Foods, where they actually had a chicken sausage as well, but I preferred the consistency of the cooked turkey sausage.)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic. minced (of course I used more)
- 1 pound kale, tough stems removed, leaves washed well and shredded (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- 3 1/3 cups canned diced tomatoes with their juice (two 15 ounce cans)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups drained and rinsed canned cannellini beans (two 19 ounce cans)
1) In a Dutch oven (I just used a large soup pot that I have), heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking the meat up with a fork, until the it loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and then stir in the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften, about 3 minutes.
2) Add the garlic and kale to the pan and cook, stirring, until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the kale is tender, about 15 minutes.
3) Stir the beans into the stew and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. If you like, mash some of the beans with a fork to thicken the sauce.
Served with a cornbread muffin, it was delicious!
Check out some of these other great recipes to stay warm and well fed this winter:
- kale and sausage stew in the crockpot
- veggie packed beef soup