easy pepper, cucumber relish(y) salad
I am going to be very honest with you–if I don’t have a purpose for the vegetables that I buy they will often go unused and get thrown out in the trash. I do feel bad about it, but at the grocery store I will impulsively put veggies in my cart because they look so good. To prevent their demise, I have a couple of go to recipes that are made with veggie stables that often find their way to my cart including the easy pepper, cucumber salad/relish.
- 3 Bell Peppers (I like to use two greens and a red, but feel free to use as many colors as you like.)
- 1 Cucumber
- 8 oz Feta cheese
- Balsamic vinaigrette (I prefer to use Newman’s Own lite, but feel free to use what you have in the fridge or make your own if you wish.)
- Chop up peppers and cucumber. Put in a large bowl or plastic container.
- Crumble up feta cheese and add to vegetables.
- Add 1- 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and toss. I actually like to put everything in a plastic container, snap on the lid and shake. Makes it a one dish meal.
It’s nice to have this in the fridge. It can easily be added to greens for a more substantial salad. You can also chop up some grilled chicken and throw it in to add some protein. Tomatoes would be another great addition, but because I am not a big fan of the uncooked tomato they won’t appear in my version. The variations on this theme are endless. Experiment with different things and see what works for you. Would love to hear what you come up with.