There is something about a summer day that elicits memories of my childhood lemonade stands and my mother brewing sun-tea on the back patio. We try to beat the heat with all sorts of drinks, from frosty adult beverages to electrolyte filled sports drinks. Below you will find some of my favorites of all varieties to beat the heat and stay hydrated during the summer.
1) Water: I drink mostly water during the summer…well, during the entire year, really. It’s very inexpensive and available all over. I try not to leave the house without a water bottle so I can fill up for free wherever there is a faucet. Hold the ice for me though, old rather have more water in my cup.
2) Skratch: To hydrate during and after exercise I use Skratch Labs hydration mix. I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned these folks and their products before (here and here) but they are worth mentioning over and over. Their mix is made here in the USA of all natural products. My fav flavor is the pineapple with orange coming in second. Having both on hand also makes it easy to mix the two when I want something different and delicious.
3) Coconut Water and Pineapple Juice: I love the idea of coconut water but I am not a fan of the taste. But when mixed with the wonderful goodness of pineapple juice, it turns into something that reminds me of sitting on a beach during a tropical vacation.
4) Watermelon Margarita: I just had this last week for the first time (see pic) and now I’m wondering why it took me so long–it was sooooo good! Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
5) A Cold Shandy: A shandy is beer mixed with a soft drink, carbonated lemonade, ginger beer, ginger ale, or apple juice or orange juice. I typically mix it with a sprite or a 7up. You can mix the two to your own liking, but I usually use one part beer to one part soda. It’s nice because it makes sweetens up the beer and makes it a little less potent. It’s a drink that I first had in Austria while living overseas.
So there’s my five favorite summer drinks. What are yours?